HIPAA defines the Sale of PHI as the disclosure of PHI in return for remuneration.
UT Dallas shall not exchange PHI in return for direct or indirect remuneration without a signed authorization except:
- For purposes of public health
- Research permitted by HIPAA if the payment is a reasonable, cost-based fee to cover the cost of preparing and transmitting the PHI
- Treatment and payment
- Activities performed by a Business Associate if the payment is for the BA performance of such activities
- To provide access or an accounting of records to a patient
- As required by law
- As otherwise permitted under HIPAA where only a reasonable cost-based fee is paid
An authorization permitting a sale of PHI shall state that the sale will result in remuneration to UT Dallas.
Reviewed and Approved: 06/09/2015
Donise Pearson, HIPAA Privacy Officer
UT Dallas Callier Center